Standard Audio Stretch
The Standard Audio Stretch is an API 500 Series multi-band compression unit inspired by the classic tape noise reduction units from the 1970s and 1980s. While noise reduction units were often just used for reducing tape noise, engineers and producers would often misuse/abuse them and modify them to create sounds unobtainable by available compressors, limiters, and equalizers.
After analyzing many classic and vintage noise reduction units, the modifications performed, and the methods of use, Standard Audio designed the Stretch from the ground up to enable the modern engineer/producer to easily recreate those classic techniques and take them further.
The input signal is split into four frequency bands and then each band is individually compressed with preset ratio, attack, and release settings tailored to each frequency band.
- Four frequency bands that are individually processed
- Filter/Compression pushbutton: lets the user cycle continuously through 7 different filter combinations. Orange HPF and LPF front panel LEDs indicate the different combinations
- 100% analog signal path
- Highest quality, high reliability amplifier circuit design. High quality filter capacitors for filter stages
- Engage pushbutton: Enables/Disables true hard-wired relay bypass circuit. Unit is engaged when pushbutton LED is lit
- Filter/Compression pushbutton LED: Indicates when any of the active filter stages has reached 2dB of compression
- Input Control: Allows the user to set the gain structure through the unit so that the desired amount of compression is occurring
- Output Control: A post-mix circuit output level control allows the engineer to set the output level to DAW/Tape without altering the mix blend
- Mix Control: Blend the Stretch signal in with the un-processed input signal to vary the amount of effect desired