Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone System (Education)
Microphone & Preamp Emulation System
The “VMS” is a hybrid system that utilizes an extremely transparent condenser microphone, a sonically-neutral preamp, and state-of-the-art digital processing suite that recreates the tone of classic microphones and preamps. The Virtual Microphone System collapses the wall standing between audio engineers and expensive world-class audio tools, allowing them access to the virtual microphone locker of their dreams for under a thousand dollars.
ML-1: The ML-1 microphone is arguably the most important part of the Virtual Microphone System, because everything starts here. With a shock-mounted Mylar capsule sputtered in gold and custom-made components, the ML-1 is NOT just any ordinary microphone. It was designed in tandem with the VMS-ONE preamp to provide an exceedingly flat output for the VMS microphone and preamp software modules to act upon.
VMS-ONE: The VMS-ONE preamp ensures that your A/D converter sees the flattest signal possible from the ML-1 microphone. It utilizes state-of-the-art amplifiers to produce the purest and most linear signal possible, giving the VMS plugin module the ability to transform your recordings with hyper-accurate reproductions of classic microphones and preamps.
- Virtual Mic Collection — VMC Classic Tubes 1
- FG-47: This mic will take you back in time. It’s lush, warm, fat, present, and BIG sounding. If you have a wimpy source, it gets fixed with this mic. It doesn’t have that modern sizzly top-end air, but it takes EQ in the top end like a champion. I love adding some Custom Series 10 kHz when using this mic. By pushing the intensity, it gets even darker, moodier, and a bit more saturated. Don’t just use this microphone on vocals. Put it on drums as a room mic. Put it on the outside of a kick. Put it on horns, strings.
- FG-800: The FG-800 is based on a solid performing studio vocal mic. This is a bright and airy microphone. That airy, clear, bright tone works perfectly in a pop mix with no EQ needed. When this mic works, nothing will sound as good. And it actually works a lot, even on modern male rock vocals.
- FG-251: The FG-251 sounds so good on just about everything. It’s the perfect balance of top, middle, and bottom. There is something so flattering about this mic that every singer just sounds better than they do in the actual room. The intensity is really fun with this one. This mic pairs well with both preamps, so try them both using the VMR A->B system
- Virtual Mic Collection — VMC Classic Tubes 2
- FG-12: The FG-12 emulates an Austrian classic known for being incredibly smooth and rich-sounding. Slate chose an absolutely incredible mic to model that is the perfect representation of this famous tone.
- FG-800M: The FG-800M emulates an older Japanese tube mic and is slightly fatter and darker than the stock FG-800. If you love the FG-800 but wish it was a tad less sibilant and bright, you're gonna love this.
- FG-M7: The FG-M7 takes one of the most famous dynamic vocal mics used by artists like Michael Jackson, and adds the tube stage of the classic 47 making it extremely punchy, crisp, with incredible mids that cut through the mix. Definitely gonna be a favorite!
- FG-269: The FG-269 emulates an extremely rare German classic that shares much of the same circuit as the 67, but has a different tube that makes it more open and clear. This is one of the best sounding vocal mics I've ever heard.
- FG67: The FG-67 emulates a German classic known for being bold, slightly dark, and thick. This is amazing as a vocal mic, room mic, horn mic, piano mic, and is probably my favorite on toms.
- FG-73: The FG-73 preamp module is modeled after one of the most famous discrete solid state preamps in the industry, made in Britain and used on countless recordings. It has a bold, present and warm sound that works great on any audio source – even full mixes.
- FG-76: The FG-76 preamp module is modeled after a vintage German tube preamp that has been used on many classic recordings. It has a thick and colorful tone that can make tracks and mixes sound more ‘alive’. The bottom-end saturates in a very unique and musical way, making it a great module for bass guitar and kick drum tracks.
- Travel case
- Shock mount
- VMS-ONE Power Supply Unit
- IEC Power Cable
- Software Card for VMC Classic Tubes 1 & 2 and VPC Virtual Preamp Collection
- Quad Core i5 Processor
- 4GB of RAM
- Mac OS X 10.7 or Later
- Windows 7 & Above
- iLok 2 or 3 Required
- Quad Core i7 Processor
- 8GB of RAM
- Mac OS X 10.9 or Later
- Windows 7 & Above
- iLok 2 or 3 Required
SUPPORTED PLUGIN FORMATS
- Intel Mac 32bit: VST2, VST3, AU, AAX
- Intel Mac 64bit: VST2, VST3, AU, AAX
- Windows 32bit: VST2, VST3, AAX
- Windows 64bit: VST2, VST3, AAX