Buzz Audio DBC-20
Stereo Diode-bridge Compressor
Real vintage analog compression with lots of colour - but without the price tag!
Audio Path Colour
The DBC-20 audio path uses our Class A discrete amplifier design in a balanced configuration from input to output, but for extra colour in this unit, we have a radio steel laminated transformer (of our own design) to couple into the diode bridge gain reduction element. This combination produces a vintage sounding compression character that can best be described as tight, colourful and rich with harmonics.
Dynamic Ratio Power
In the style of compressors from the 60's, the DBC-20 incorporates a self-adjusting ratio whereby the compression ratio is progressively increased with deepening gain reduction. This feature allows for the control of very dynamic signals (such as vocals) in a seamless fashion and is also a very desirable characteristic when used on complex percussive material such as drum loops.
The lower cost of the DBC-20 is not achieved by using cheap parts, instead with clever design we have reduced the amount of time it takes to assemble and align each unit!
This compressor is easy to get happening with six switched attack and release times covering a wide range, including an interesting auto release mode. Big knobs are provided for the amount of compression and the output gain control. The compressor can be switched to a Soft mode whereby dynamic peaks are partially retained. Another switch introduces a high pass filter to the side chain to lower compression sensitivity at low frequencies which is useful on the mix bus. The large knobs with pointers allow for accurate resetting of the compressor and the fast response 15 LED bar graph meter accurately displays gain reduction.
- Gain - variable pot that adds gain at the output to correct for lost level with 15dB range.
- Compression - variable pot that sets the amount of compression.
- Attack - rotary switch with 6 settings, FAST (less than 0.5mS)-5mS-10mS-15mS-25mS-50mS.
- Release - rotary switch with 6 recovery time settings, 50mS-100mS-200mS-400mS-600mS and AUTO.
- Hard/Soft - adds dynamics in soft mode for times when light compression is required.
- Flat/Bass - reduces compression sensitivity at low frequencies.
- Bypass/Engage - hard wire unit bypass to compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
There is also a handy power On/Off switch and the Link A/B which provides for stereo tracking to prevent image shift when used on the mix buss.