DW Fearn VT12
The D.W. Fearn VT-12 vacuum tube 70dB microphone preamplifier is designed to accommodate the low output level of ribbon and dynamic microphones. It can also be used with condenser microphones. Our VT-1 and VT-2 Vacuum tube microphone Preamplifiers are optimised for condensers.
The VT-12 is very similar to our VT-2, but with higher gain (the VT-2 has 53dB of gain). We use the same custom Jensen transformers and the same sonic philosophy as the VT-2. So the trademark sound is there - definitely in the D.W. Fearn family of products.t To make the VT-12 more versatile, we include provision for phantom powering condenser microphones. But since many engineers are concerned about possible damage to ribbon mics if phantom power is accidentally applied, we have a rear panel switch that disables all possibility of applying phantom power. The front panel “+48” switches are inoperative in this mode, and a dual red/green indicator displays the status; green for disabled phantom power, off when phantom power is available but not turned on and red when phantom power is turned on.
- Frequency response: +0.25dB 20Hz-20kHz (-3dB at 0.5Hz and 60kHz)
- THD+noise: <0.3% 20Hz-20kHz
- Noise: <-72dBu, unweighted
- Input load impedance: 1500 ohms
- Maximum input level for 1% THD at 20Hz: -25dBu (-5dBu with pad)
- Maximum gain: 70dB
- Input: transformer balanced
- Output: transformer balanced
- Maximum output level: +22dBu into 20k ohm bridging load