Darkglass Electronics Microtubes 500
500W Bass Amplifier Head with 2 Overdrive Circuits
The Microtubes 500 is a 500W amplifier equipped with an all analog solid state preamplifier and a Class D Power Module.
On the top row, you will find the clean section which is the foundation of your tone. It features a Gain control and an active 4 band EQ: along with Low and Treble controls, you will find Low Mids and Hi Mids controls, each knob with their own 2-way frequency switch.
On the bottom row, you will find the Microtubes Engine, an extra channel that will bring your clean tone to the next level by helping you cut through the mix while adding anything from subtle, tube-like, harmonics and natural compression to obliterating distortion.
Front Panel Features
FootswitchThe Footswitch jack allows you to remotely engage and disengage the Microtubes Engine via the Intelligent Footswitch (sold separately). Hold the footswitch to Mute the amplifier. The VMT/B3K push button will remain operational with the Intelligent Footswitch plugged in.
* Use a regular mono instrument cable to connect the amplifier to the footswitch.
* Remove the cable from the footswitch jack in the rear panel if you want to control the amp from the front panel.
* The Microtubes 500 will only work with our proprietary Intelligent Footswitch or Super Intelligent Footswitch (both sold separately). A generic Footswitch will not work with the Microtubes 500.
Back Panel Features
- Speaker Output - Connects the amplifier to your cabinet. This Speakon combo jack allows for either Speakon or 1/4" speaker cable operation. The minimum load for the amplifier is 4Ω. For higher impedance loads the maximum output power is reduced. The Microtubes 500 amplifier can run without a cabinet connected to this output. WARNING: Do not use an instrument cable with this jack. Using an instrument cable can damage your amplifier. Do not use a load lower than 4Ω.
- Headphone Output - Headphones with 1⁄4" plug connector can be connected to this jack. For quiet operation remove any speaker cabinet connected to the amplifier, as connecting the headphones does not disable the speaker output.
- Send - Line level effects loop output. Connect a cable from this jack to the input of any pedals used in the effects loop. The output can be used to connect to another power amplifier or a sound card. The output is not controlled by the Master volume. Gain control can be used to change the signal level.
- Return - Line level effects loop input. Connect the output from your effects loop pedals to this connector.
- Post-Pre - Selects which signal will be sent to the Balanced output. Selecting PRE, sends a clean copy of your input bass signal. Selecting POST delivers the processed signal by the preamplifier (Microtubes Engine, gain, EQ.)
- Ground Lift - Lifts the ground of the Balanced output. If you are hearing mains frequency hum in your setup, try changing this setting.
- Balanced Output - Connects the Microtubes 500 preamplifier to balanced equipment (mic preamp, console, recorder, compressor, audio interface, etc.) via a standard XLR connector. The balanced signal level is not affected by the Master volume.
- AC Socket - Connects the power cord to the amplifier.
- AC Power On/Off - Turns the amplifier on or off.